Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Ahhh yes, the "Castle of Otranto." This story really captures the essence of the Gothic novel, mostly because it defines it. I do enjoy the supernatural elements and the tragedy (because it makes a good read, not because I take pleasure in demise) but it was difficult for me to get around the great befuddlement that was the dialogue of Walpole's classic. Though it was only about 100 pages, it felt as though I was trudging arduously through a thick swamp of "gobble-de-gook," as the French would say. I realize that this technique was implemented to create a bond with the reader in regards to the frustration of the characters, but I feel that its effects were felt a little too heavily and I got sort of lost in the shit storm. That being said, I felt that I was being pulled through the book more by the actual action than the dialogue. I kept wanting to know more about the helmet and the sword and how all of these things would tie together, but when I got to the end I was only partially rewarded. In some confusion of strange goings-ons, loud voices and hysteric monarchs, I was able to find a little solace, as I'm sure some of the characters did (we're talking a modicum of solace here) in the union of Isabella and Theodore, but even this remained unclear. I think this story would do quite well if it were reformatted, but then again it might lose its ability to frustrate the reader, which seemed to be its entire point. Not a bad jam at all, I'd give it 3 out of 5 smiles and a couple what the hell?'s.

No comments:

Post a Comment