Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Kipling

One of my favorite things we read for Monday was Kipling's Epitaphs. I didn't really have one epitaph in particular that I liked better than the rest but there is a few I prefer more than the others. As a whole I found the Epitaphs to be very moving, especially since they were written just a few short years after world war one. Kipling was an English man so I believe that these Epitaphs could mean more considering England was in the war from the beginning. Unlike America who joined in just the last year. I also think they mean so much more considering this was the first world war. All the death and destruction had world wide implications and relationships with countries were ruined forever. During world war one there would be pages in the newspaper filled with the names of those who died. It was one of those things that hadn't been seen before in England, at least not by the people of that generation. The news coverage on the war was probably just as shocking to the people living in World War I as the television coverage was to those living through Vietnam in America. There was probably a lot of epitaphs written that year, but Kipling's were't published until two years after the war was over. Even though they were published later I believe they probably still held a deep emotional significance to those who lost family and friends in the war. For some it was probably therapeutic to read it, and for others it was probably just an unwanted reminder. Either way, Kipling used this great historical event (which would have been a contemporary event for him) to immortalize those who died during world war one. I see this book of multiple epitaphs to be like one giant epitaph and whoever reads it can identify the one they lost with a particular epitaph. Kipling is reaching the general audience and a particular audience all at once. That's what I like so much about this work, he is reaching out to people and feeling what they feel. No one is alone.

2 comments:

  1. I found the only son to be particularly moving. It said I have slain none but my mother and she blessing her slayer died of grief for me. I find it odd that Kipling who was a man of his times and was known to be virulently racist could also write something so moving. I think that he perfectly captures the aftermath of a mother learning of the death of her son. What is more impressive is that he does it in only a few lines. It has left me with a mixed opinion of Kipling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What else I really liked about these mini-poems are that they where not limited to World War I. Many of the overreaching concepts did not just apply to a modern war; it could be read, understood and appreciated by soldiers carrying guns or swords. It highlight the fact that war never really changes, the instruments of death perhaps, but never the fear, emotion, pain and the effects on the family and nations as a whole. This is why they work so well.

    ReplyDelete