Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Writers Block....


Writer’s block… That uncomfortable feeling where all of your ideas and thoughts seem absent once you try to write. I know for a fact I’m feeling that right now. It seems like even the noteworthy history making people experience writer’s block too. “The Circus Animal’s Desertion” is about some of the frustrations Yeats experienced because of his. The “circus animals” from the title and the rest of the poem refer to his previous poetry and works; the “desertion” part refers to the feeling of his creativity missing and his current lack of inspiration. That is partly why I like this poem though: it’s relatable.  Anyone that writes (whether it is for a living, school, or fun) can relate to how it feels to have a writer’s block. It is extremely frustrating and time consuming, and I cannot think of anyone that likes it. Throughout the length of “The Circus Animal’s Desertion” I felt like Yeats was trying to find inspiration for something new, and running short each time.  My favorite part of this poem, however, is how Yeats was able to turn his writers block into something. To me this shows that even nothingness can turn into a theme in itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment