Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Nonsense Literature


So, one thing that I really enjoyed about reading Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland was the concept of nonsense literature.  I've become increasingly fascinated by the how Carroll is able to make sense out of nonsense and how misdirection plays a big part in the whole thing.  I really saw it as a rebirth to literature because it’s stood out among different things that we've read this semester.  As I was researching it, I found that it was seen as a kind of homage to when every sound in reading a book was new and bizarre.  This really registered because as a fiction writer, coming up with strange new sounds and throwing all modern logic out the window is outside my programming.  It is a beautiful genre because it’s light and fun but also holds deeper meanings than meet the eye.  In Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, a lot of things are being said directly, but are disguised as something that doesn't make sense.  My favorite is still in the Queen’s court where the guinea pig is being stifled and Alice reports that it is much like what she reads in the papers about the real-life court system.  At a first glance, I thought the description was just crazy talk, but upon closer analysis found that it was just pure genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment