Tuesday, April 9, 2013

the nonsensical nonsense known as Alice

Alice in Wonderland is a part of many people's childhood. I know it was a big part of mine. I can still remember watching the film and reading the book and wanting to be Alice. In fact, I was even her for Halloween one year. She was my hero, my idol, etc, as I'm sure she was for other little girls. Honestly, Alice is still kind of my hero and the inspiration she gives me probably means that I will always be a kid at heart, which is 100% fine by me. Alice is an icon, I can get a mental image of her immediatly, although it's from the disney cartoon which I was more influenced by growing up (my family wasn't much for story time.) When watching the film or reading the book I always felt as if I was going on the journey with Alice. I got to be her shadow, and wanted too be the tweedle dee to her tweedle dum, best friends. Looking back I probably grew with her as she journey through Wondeland learning lessons. Methaphorically of course, I didn't flood anyone's house with my tears. I wanted to be with Alice and adventure through Wonderland and experience the magic, the vivid colors, the creatures, etc of a land I could only read about. That's what I find to be one of the best things about Victorian children's literature, which hit it's stride with Alice and brought about books such as Peter Pan. When reading these books you get to have that moment, even if it's brief, where you get to go to Wonderland, Neverland, or any other land and you get to be a kid again. As the book closes and Alice or Wendy decides that it might be time to grow up you are transported back to real life and into your big kid body. By experiencing the lands through these books you can also experience them on your own in your imagination. Hey, I've been to Wonderland once, why can't I go back on my own time? These lands help you remain a kid at heart, proving that you never have to grow up. You can always return to being a kid when you go back to the lands of your childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment