Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Feminist Problems

Radcliffe's Romance of the Forest isn't necessarily my cup of tea. But that's probably due to the lack of a "strong" heroine. Adeline is described as small in comparison to her surroundings, taken in by the La Motte's, and doesn't appear to have a whole lot to say. I suppose my dislike of her is slightly my fault, because as a reader I know that I tend to sympathize with characters who have a strong backbone and gumption. I just feel that Adeline really doesn't have a whole lot to offer and is simply a vehicle to get things to happen.

Which, in  a sense I'm glad that there is a female protagonist here. We're experiencing the actions in the story through a feminine scope, as opposed to the predominant male scope. That shows some sort of progress, not Jane Austen's kind of progress; but, I'll take it. (Which is the statement of any woman, ever. Even with the advent of one Elizabeth Bennet.)

4 comments:

  1. I have to agree that Adeline is a pretty pathetic character as far as alleged protagonists go. At this point she just seems to be a plot device in the form of a pitiful (but pretty. That's important, right?) wretch that burdens La Motte. However, it's only part one. Throughout the story we could learn that she will either a) Evolve and grow and become a strong female character (not likely) or b) Turn out to be a deceitful femme fatale with a hidden agenda. But I wouldn't be too shocked or disappointed if she simply turned out to be the damsel in distress and victim we see her as now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that Adeline is not the capable female protagonist we have grown to expect and adore. I sympathize with Adeline for her troubles, but I think I would enjoy the plot more if she would grow a little stronger. I feel like she could be the figure in a sublime painting--small in comparison to the world and overwhelmed by her surroundings. Maybe she is the best mode through which to tell the story, or perhaps Radcliffe was projecting her own feeling of smallness in a man's world onto Adeline. I will be interested in what statements Radcliffe makes about the female gender as we continue reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I agree with the fact that Adeline doesn't hold as much "gumption" than other typical female characters, I disagree with the assumption that that makes her a pathetic character. Out of everybody in the story she is the only one who still has a pure sense of imagination and curiosity about her surroundings. She also seems the most adaptable and humane character, given that she spends so much of her time trying to make the family happy to show her gratitude for being rescued. Her gratitude makes her strong in my perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This novel did a lot of things to shatter the common perception of the Gothic novel. In the earlier stages of the text, Adeline could be easily seen as the damsel in distress. However, as the novel progresses, more specifically when the marquis takes Adeline back, she transforms. Theodore ends up being arrested and in a way becomes the damsel in distress. SO in a way Radcliffe is challenging the expectations of the reader as well as the gender specific roles literary characters are supposed to fill.

    ReplyDelete