Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Love in the Woods

Gothic romance novels is not really my forte but I found The Romance in the Forest as well as The Castle of Otranto interesting and amusing. However, I found Walpole's novel to be quite bizarre. The Romance of the Forest moves along rather quickly. The heroine of the novel, who is a bold character nonetheless, is so "scared of her shadow." She nearly faints in e-v-e-r-y chapter. The hero, well... for a strong and brave soul, he cries a lot, especially when his father was upset, when he was about to be executed and when his beloved was imprisoned. Marquis, the bad guy, was a bad guy is the purest form; lustful would be a good way of describing his character. If I had read this novel before taking this class - when I had little to no knowledge of Gothic novels - I might have found it to be a tad sentimental. However, the novel is interesting as it is enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment