Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Romance of the Forest


 I actually have been enjoying reading The Romance of the Forest. I was not too thrilled to begin with because for one I am not a fast reader (Dyslexia mixed with ADHD plus due date reading equals FOREVER), and two I was not sure if it would be another headache inducer like The Castle of Otranto was. I have been pleasantly surprised though. I find The Romance of the Forest a lot easier to understand and dissect; I like the pace of the novel too. Just goes to show what can happen when you jump into something with low expectations. I have to say though, I really did not like Adeline at first. She just seemed really weak, secretive, and fake. But once I got her know her better, and the story perspective started to change into what she saw/how she thought I felt differently. She seems to spark curiosity, and turned into someone that I find very interesting to read about. I noticed that a lot of the characters have that kind of change too; each starts to become more friendly and familiar with the reader as the book comes along, at least so far. I really like the style of writing too; I find that the words almost seem to flow into one another (Unlike The Castle of Otranto), which made it easier to read for me personally. I also really like the mix of Gothic and Romantic influence that is twisted together. It kind of adds to the flow and keeps the book moving. I am looking forward to what happens next in The Romance of the Forest.    

No comments:

Post a Comment